How To Record?
Foneo offers the two recording options
Local recording is available to free and paid subscribers. Local recording allows you to record meeting video and audio locally on your computer. The recorded file can then be uploaded to your company streaming server or public streaming server such as YouTube.
Cloud recording is available to paid subscribers. Cloud recording allows you to record meeting video (active speaker) and audio in the Foneo Cloud where the file can then be downloaded and/or streamed from a browser via HTML 5 or Flash.
- A Foneo Basic (Free) account is required
- Account Admin can enable or disable in Account Management
- User can also enable or disable in Profile page
- Foneo client version 18.104.22.168 or higher is required on PC or Mac
How do I start Local Recording?
Note: You must join the meeting audio either through telephone or computer audio in order to record the meeting's audio.
The host can record. While you are in a Foneo meeting, move your mouse around the screen to toggle the menu bar.
1. Select "Record"
2. You can also click on Participant to assign someone to record
3. All participants in meeting will see a recording indicator in the upper-left corner of their screen and all dial-in participants will hear a message informing them that the meeting is now being recorded.
Or, if you're the host you will see this button appear in the upper left corner:
You can record the active speaker, content sharing with active or sub video panel, gallery view or M4A audio.
By default, only the host can record each Foneo meeting. This can be changed by having the host allow specific users to record the meeting through the Manage Participants panel. Each resulting recording will be in the layout of choice by the person who is recording.
The Foneo meeting will be recorded in the current layout that the host is recording. For example, if the host is recording in Gallery View the recording will be in gallery view. This is independent of what the participants are viewing, so if I participant is watching the meeting in active speaker view and they start recording because the host granted them recording the resulting recording will be in Active Speaker.
Note: If you move the active speaker display thumbnail to the edge of the screen or to additional monitor from the one you are presenting from the thumbnail will show up in the surrounding black bars on the recording.
Example: Thumbnail on the main display.
Example: Thumbnail moved to another monitor or edge of screen.
Saved Recording Options
Using your mouse, toggle over your saved recording to view your options:
- Play Video: Selecting "Play" from your Foneo client will play the saved meeting with your default media player
- Play Audio: Selecting "Play Audio" from your Foneo client will play the saved meeting audio with your default media player
- Open: Selecting "Open" will allow you to view your saved file in your local device or computer's folder
- Delete: Selecting "Delete" will erase your meeting from your Foneo client only
Note: After deleting your saved recorded meeting, it will still be saved to your local device or computer.
Note: If your computer/device unexpectedly loses power during recording Foneo cannot guarantee the integrity of your recording files when you restore power. Your recording will most likely be corrupted.
After you have ended your meeting. Your recorded file will be converted and saved to your local device or computer.
To access your recorded meeting folder: please select open from: Foneo Meetings >
You will have file to choose from with unique Meeting id:
- M3U playlist (a playlist to play the individual MP4 files - Windows only)
- MP4 file/s (video file or split video and screen sharing files - Windows and Mac)
- M4A file (a single audio only file)
- VLC player (MP4) file (single file for video and screen sharing view via VLC Player- Windows) (Release 3.0 and below)
- MP4 file (single file for video and screen sharing) (Release 3.5 and above)
- Chat (txt) file (single file for in meeting group chat)
Note: Screen sharing recording would take about 20MB of storage per hour while video recording would take about 200MB of storage an hour. This is an estimation as the resolution and types of video or screen sharing content could change the storage requirements.
Note: The VLC player (MP4) file and single MP4 (mac) file can also be opened by Quicktime player. You can convert the file to .MOV and edit using iMovie.
Change Location for Recording
You can change the location of where your recorded meeting file gets stored at on your computer.
Open your Foneo client and select "Settings" then select "Recording." From here you can
- Change where your recorded file will be stored at
- Select an option to pop up a location selection each time when meeting ends
Note: We recommend keeping the default location for recordings as the \Documents\Foneo folder. Setting the default location to a cloud syncing folder (i.e. Dropbox, Google Drive, or One Drive) or an external or network storage device may cause issues with saving and converting the local recording.